Quick observations after almost one week in Bangkok - from 2017
- The hot season, which follows the cool season that ended in late February, is already pretty intense, certainly compared to what I have ever experienced in Asheville.- Within three days I was already noticing that my face was slimmer, and I had an overall feeling I was moving in the right direction. Psychologically, this is a plus. And this results from sweating, eating more fruits and walking. I still eat whenever and whatever I desire, including lots of sweets. Thais love to snack and eat 24/7, and have perfected the art.
- Bowel movements are very regular here, and common ailments we face in the USA, like hemorrhoids and constipation, clear up on their own.
- Home internet connection is slower and wifi is not the most reliable, at least with the laptop I have been using. My smartphone is better. But if you wanted to blog, it could be frustrating.
- Privacy in a typical Thai home is not guaranteed and you share space, facilities and rooms far more. This can be irritating if you have expectations of life back home. You have to dial it back.
- You quickly forget about warm baths and showers here. With the heat and time spent outdoors, what you crave is a cool shower or bath. I have the same joy from them that I would a warm shower in the USA.
- Massages are inexpensive, soothing and sensual, A sensual massage would make you overlook many of the negatives of the culture. There's a basic human need being met: touch.
- Never have I been somewhere where I have tried foods (and foods I have eaten on previous trips) and thought, "This (insert dish) could make me want to live here." The most recent example was yesterday while eating a coconut sweet steamed inside a banana leaf.
- The palaces, temples and modern office towers notwithstanding, Bangkok is not a pretty city - far from it. Rundown buildings and dangling gobs of electrical wiring are everywhere. Air and water pollution are also still major problems.
No comments:
Post a Comment