Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Thursday, February 21, 2019

Paris, Day 1








This was our first cafe experience in Paris, and the scene of a very awkward experience.  To start with, our server made a drug purchase from his dealer, who was sitting to our left.  I saw the secret hand-off.  I didn't say anything, of course, and acted like I saw nothing.  We just wanted to drink our cafe cremes, peruse our travel guide, then move along.  The really weird part came later when we asked for our check, and this same server gave us an amount (very high for coffee, I thought), and said, "Just pay me."  I was a bit miffed by his demeanor and response, but kept my composure.  I then asked for a drinks menu, thinking I could use it to check the coffee prices.  The server then said the restaurant did not have a menu with drink prices.  I was thinking, "Scam, Scam."  Kade and I continued sitting there until we could come up with a game plan.  We were reflecting on our days in Italy, where getting a morning coffee was a breeze, and the prices were clear.  Since this was our first full day in Paris, we were feeling a bit disoriented honestly.  And so I wondered if our perception was a bit skewed.  As a traveler, often that's when you're most vulnerable - sleep deprived, arriving in a new place, not being alert, etc..  Overcharging can be one of those ways.  But this was a nice restaurant, which baffled me more.  Another thing that made us suspicious was that the French ladies next to us paid less for their coffees.  I thought for sure I observed that!  I didn't like the feeling I was getting taken advantage of.  And because I caught a quick glimpse of this server scoring some drugs, it naturally made me wonder if his MO was to rip off unsuspecting tourists.  I stayed at our table while Kade went in to ask a manager or somebody for a menu.  She returned and said they didn't have one.  Puzzling.  That's when we got up the nerve to ask the ladies what they thought.  They did try to intervene and talk with the server.  Although they only spoke a little English, I could tell they also thought something was wrong.  I then asked Kade to walk next door, to another cafe, to ask them for their price for the same coffee.  She came back, and the price was only a little lower than what our server was asking us to pay. So I relaxed a bit. We ended up paying the amount he said, and then we got out of there.  Later on, through my research, I discovered that we were in a fancier part of town, and that coffees were about that price.  It didn't explain, though, not getting a menu, nor a receipt of any kind.  And our server - a younger guy, perhaps more interested in doing drugs than be helpful - did not make the situation better.  It was a matter of principle to me, and my instincts were telling me to ask questions.  This happens when you travel.  And it may be one reason people like to stay home!  Looking back, we were pleased that we kept our cool, checked what we could, and didn't think it was worth it to fight with the guy, or cause a scene.  A lesson learned.  


The Moroccan restaurant my brother and I tried back in 2004!





We tried high quality macaroons at this spot.  Loved them!  They also had a pretty amazing cheesecake on display.  A few days later, we went back for a slice of cheesecake, but they were all sold out.






Images above are of the apartment building in the Marais, where my brother and I stayed in 2004.


This coffee shop was right across the narrow road from the apartment.  It was a place I had tried a few times.  Nice to see that it was still there.








This was quick crepe meal.  Very ordinary.  One of the pluses of traveling extensively is that you get to try a wide range of foods.  A negative might be that your standards become almost too high.  I swear, despite crepes being a specialty in Paris, I have had better in Thailand and Russia, and at home.



Jehovah's Witnesses peddling their wares











Hard to think of Starbucks operating in a well-established cafe culture like Paris.  They are doing something right, I guess.  In Thailand, where there was no coffee culture really, Starbucks swept in, and are very successful.

Here's some more Americana in the French capital.  I also saw a restaurant named Indiana.



We stopped briefly at Cafe de Flores, for only these photos.  It was another 2004 spot that I wanted to revisit.

On our first day, we walked too far., and by accident.  It was a wonderful day in ways, but also a day of frustrations.  When we had this Eiffel Tower photo moment, we were both exhausted, and trying to figure out how to get back.  Paris doesn't have the modern skyline we associate with a metropolis, but it's an enormous city.  Luckily, the metro covers a lot of the city, and it's fairly simple to use.  Day 1 motivated us to use the metro the rest of our time.

Looking out our apartment window, to the right.





This French-run American steak and burger bistro was in our neighborhood.  Food again was average.  I was craving a burger.  But really you don't go to Paris for burgers!  What was great about the place was the ambiance, the wine, the view of the street and proximity to our apartment.

An Asheville lady gave us these maps and books to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment