Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

In Good Hands

I contracted the H1N1 virus (Swine Flu) on my trip to Thailand in 2013.  It could have been at an airport en route, on a flight or even back in the USA just before I left.  There had been some cases in the Northeastern USA not long before departure.  Who knows?  All I can say is that on my third or forth day in Bangkok, I developed a pretty serious fever.  Kade was with me, and we were both alert to this.  Not even two hours passed before we went to a local hospital (Phaya Thai 2), where I was evaluated and diagnosed.  I was placed on some anti-viral meds and antibiotics.  I was told to wear a mask and stay away from the general public until the major symptoms disappeared.  For at least a week I was in the bed.  Luckily, I had the best nurse - Kade!  She brought warm comfort foods and plenty of fruits.  I slept a lot, and watched some cable TV.  I could tell fairly early that the anti-virals were kicking in; I was feeling better.  After two weeks, I felt like venturing out.  But when I went out on the town, I always wore my mask.  In the 13 or so years of both living in Thailand or taking trips over there, it was the only time I had been seriously sick. The care I got over there was excellent.  And when I returned to the USA and saw my family doctor, I shared the report the Bangkok hospital gave me, and put out all the prescription meds to show.  My doctor said I got highest standard of care (at Phyathai 2 International Hospital), and was given the same medication and treatment that I would have received in the USA.   





On a single day, Kade brought in all these fruits:  guava, rose apple, pineapple, pomelo, papaya and mangosteen.  Sometimes it pays to be sick!!

Once I got the green-light to do normal activities, a former student-turned friend of mine came by to visit.  In fact, she is a bonafide nurse.  She brought along some higher quality masks and some over-the-counter treatments.  Really meant a lot.

I was going to take a solo trip to Japan (from Bangkok) this trip, but the virus put an end to that plan.,

No comments:

Post a Comment