Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Friday, January 26, 2024

Arrival

Asheville - Atlanta - Seoul - Bangkok







Arrived in Bangkok.  Didn't take very long to get through passport control and to get my luggage.  Surprised me how fast it was, especially considering how many people there were.










I had Thai baht from my previous trip, so there was no need to get any money exchanged at the airport.  However, if you do need to covert currency, after getting your bag, walking by customs and exiting into the Arrivals area (where people are there to welcome passengers), go to the very bottom level of the airport to the money exchange called SuperRich.  The rates are the best.

To get into the city, you have options:  prearranged and prepaid personal driver, electric taxi, regular taxi, luxury-level taxis, buses and train (SRT).  I usually choose SRT.  If you have big luggage and just don't want the hassle, you can go by taxi.  Regular taxis should be around 500 baht.  Make sure they turn on the meter and ask them to use the toll road.  You have to pay the toll fare, so it could take your trip to 600 baht or so.  SRT can get you into the city in 45 minutes.  My taxi this time took 2 hours! Consider all your options.  Bangkok traffic is notorious.  If you are getting a prearranged driver, the rate should be around 1000 baht.  Higher-end cars could cost 2000 - 2500 baht.  Buses can get backpackers close to Khao San Road for almost nothing.  Do what suits you.  I do think giving your transportation some good planning way in advance could save you a big headache.  I'm experienced, and still got a headache.  I went against my instincts and used a taxi rather than the train.  I wasted a lot time being stuck in traffic.  Not a good feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment