Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Benefit of Travel

It was an uncle of mine and some other mentors along the way that urged me to get out and see the world.  It also was, in a big way, my personal faith that prompted me to go initially.  I started along this wanderlust path many years before I met my wife.  Nowadays, one thing I do is organize travel meetups, where people in the community come together and share their travel and overseas experiences.   Naturally, not everyone travels nor has the means to travel internationally, nor is made a decent person by traveling.  I have met my share of assholes along the way.  But one thing I try to do is encourage people to leave their comfort zone, if only for a little bit.  It could be through anything - Peace Corps, missions trip, study-exchange programs, high school class trip, teaching English, etc..  There are so many possibilities.  (excerpt from an email I sent someone years ago)

This Twain quote resonates with me and my experience.  I think it's a good reason to want to travel.  My wife can also tell you that traveling has made her more open-minded and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment