Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The Greatest Luxury

In the summer of 2005, when I was living in Thailand and waiting on my wife's visa interview date, I would correspond very regularly with certain people back home in the USA.  One of the people I emailed a lot, and who seemed to always enjoy talking with me was my dad's sister.  I remember once she put in an email, "you surely have had the luxury of traveling."  And her statement was very true.  And in a follow-up with her, I shared this:

In one of your recent e-mails you correctly pointed out that I have had the luxury of traveling to many places so far in my life.  Traveling around Asia as a (semi) backpacker, and years earlier taking trains through Eastern Europe at the tail-end of my year in Uzbekistan has been life-changing.  It has been a joy, plus a sensational learning experience, that's for sure.  I recall seeing my niece in a church musical one evening at the First Baptist Church of Headland, and afterwards I had a nice talk with one of the members of the church.  I was telling him that I was planing to travel back to Asia - this was when Kade was in Headland with me - and specifically mentioned mainland China as a place that I longed to see.  He then said, "Well, I sure hope you bless those people."  My response was, "They would be blessing me a lot more than I could ever bless them."  And, sure enough, wherever I have been,  I have been blessed.  That's been the greatest luxury.

No comments:

Post a Comment