Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Treats in Surat Thani



Surat Thani is the port city where everybody goes to takes ferries and boats to Koh Samui. Koh Tao and Koh Phangan.  The Thai wod koh means Island.  I was an interim manager of an Engish school in Surat Thani shortly after Kade and I got married.  She joined me down there.  

At the hotel where we stayed, there was a famous noodle restaurant next door.  Hopefully I can find the name of it and share with it later.  Near the school, there was another restaurant (mom-and-pop style) that we found one evening.  One of their specialties was jok, which is thick rice soup that you normally find for breakfast, but can be eaten anytime of the day.  We ordered jok with the small-cut pork ribs.  Those ribs in that jok were so delicious, I told Kade that folks back in Alabama would love it.  And for a few years after, we'd always talk about it, and I would say if we ever opened a restaurant back in the States, that jok with ribs would have to be on the menu.

At one end of the Surat Thani night market was a restaurant that "blew my mind" it was so good.  They had lots of prepared foods displayed at the front, and you could order some of those dishes with some restaurant.  Kade and I got a table inside after making our final decisions on what to order.  I almost always got the ground pork patty with salted egg on top.  It was scrumptious.  You could also order a variety dishes that they would make in the open-kitchen.  The seafood and stir-fries were always very good.  The photo above is the restaurant.  And in my video, if you start at 27 secs and let it play, you will a couple of photos we took.  Here's a little write-up about it somebody did on their blog.  And here's a very nice photo of it.

That's Surat Thani.  And those islands to the east are the ones I mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment