Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Monday, January 8, 2024

Bangkok Historic Cafes

I took the MRT (metro) to Yarowat (Chinatown) in order to eat toast with custard and drink coffee at a couple of cafes.  The OTR Food & History video was my inspiration.


Wat Traimit




That's durian.  However, since it was 7 AM and not peak season anyway, it didn't even tempt me.

I kind of "winged it" in trying to locate the first cafe.  After getting a bit lost, I resorted to using Google maps.  Pretty soon, frustration turned into joy.  I found it!

#1 Ek Teng Phu Ki
Founded in 1919
(23:09 of video)

That's a shrine or spirit house.


Have to respect the family and legacy!

I ordered toast with egg custard and Thai coffee with milk.  They also served a complimentary tea.  The egg custard is made with coconut milk, duck eggs, sugar and a pinch of this and that.  Very delicious.

When I was done, the next cafe was calling.

#2 Tee Yok
(15:47 of video)



Communal dining.  Gotta go with the flow!

I got Thai pandan custard and, I think, butter-sweetened condensed milk with toast.  The pandan custard is tasty.

Mission accomplished!

On another day, Kade and I returned to Yarowat to find the third cafe I had wanted to try.

We walked past this interesting mural.

#3 On Lok Yun
(20:06 of video)



That year rings a bell!



Steamed Bread with Kaya

Kaya is a custard made with duck eggs and coconut milk.  You simply take a piece of the bread and dip it into the kaya.  Heavenly.



Notice the shrine.  The custard must appease the spirits, or else.




We didn't end there, however.  On our way into Yarowat, from the taxi we spotted another cafe along the same road.  We decided to walk down to it.

Sala Chalermkrung Royal Theatre


#4 Kope Hya Tai Kee
This is a branch of the one featured in the video at 9:46.





Rama IX and Queen Sirikit




We loved these coffees!


This is a map I made of most of the coffee shops in the video, plus our # 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment