Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

When life hands you lemons.....

In the mountains of Northern Thailand

In a hotel lobby in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

These photos were both taken in 2000, within two months of each other.  I had decided to completely shave my head to see what it looked and felt like.  In an e-mail (below) I sent to my cousin Jeff in 2003, I gave my rationale for going with the shaved head look.  In fairness, I let it grow back out for a while - still keeping it fairly short, of course.  It wasn't until 2004 when I finally just bought a Mach 3 razor and started shaving my own head at home - clip it short, and then use the razor.  And I have been doing it this way ever since.

Since we are in the hair-challenged club, as are most of our male relatives, I thought you would enjoy these tips on making bald beautiful.  Right now, I've got a nice, receding hairline, but it's not too drastic.  Where I'm really balding though, is on the crown of my head.  I first noticed it during my travels three years ago when I was in high-tech Tokyo on an elevator in one of their mammoth music/book stores.  The elevators, much like much of the rest of the city, are equipped with security cameras that show an image of the backs, tops and fronts of people's heads.  You can't help but see your weak spots!  Well, rather than wallow in self-pity, I concluded it was best if I started to cut my hair really, really short.  And, about that time, I read where actors Bruce Willis and other big stars were celebrating the resurgence of beautiful, bald heads by sporting goatees and skinheads.  What other incentive did I need?  Plus, when you're traveling by yourself for six months, with absolutely no connection to the past or future, it's a perfect time to "let your hair down."  In Malaysia, an Indian barber obliged my wish to get a shaved head.  It was wonderful!  Pretty soon, I started liking the look.  As time passed, I would get comments from barbers, buddies of mine and even a large # of ladies, that my head had a nice, round shape and the skinhead-look actually looked really good.  See, Jeff, what I'm doing is trying to build up my confidence.  Ha!  Really, Kade will tell you, I get a haircut about once a week.  In a tropical climate it feels wonderful and it's in vogue these days.  I say all this to you simply to find out what your preferences are for your own hair (what's remaining!).  Have you ever just shaved your head or simply used clippers to buzz your hair down to the scalp?   The website with the tips is HERE.



No comments:

Post a Comment