Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Chatwin

Bruce Chatwin, English Novelist and Travel Writer

"I slept in black tents, blue tents, skin tents, yurts of felt and windbreaks of thorns. One night, caught in a sandstorm in the Western Sahara, I understood Muhammed's dictum, 'A journey is a fragment of Hell.'" - Bruce Chatwin "The Songlines"
Bruce Chatwin was one of the travel writers I discovered when I was in Asia.  To put it mildly, he was a very complicated person.  He lived life on the edge, took chances that would shock most, and seemed to be running from his personal demons, ones that never actually went away.  Authored a couple of wonderful travel books, but the man himself, to me, was far more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment