Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Tashkent


My friend Timour sent me this excellent documentary about the origins and transformation of Tashkent, Uzbekistan.  I traveled to Tashkent first in 1993 for about two weeks.  Then, in 1994, I returned there to live - and teach English.  I stayed about nine months in all.  And, in 1998, for my two-week vacation from the bank where I was working in Alabama, I flew back to Tashkent - for a walk down memory lane and a chance to see my old friends and students.  All three experiences were life-changing in their own ways.  I learned a lot about myself, initially, and then everything expanded out from there.  I started becoming more and more curious about the world, and I realized how little I really knew about other places and societies. Humbled in those early days - and indeed, still - I was a little resistant at first (at least subconsciously), and believed the lie (or illusion) that I knew more than I really did.  But rather than stay where I was, or perhaps even retreat back to "comfort places," I gradually decided that I wanted to discover more.  That's the path I remain on to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment