Below is a response I had to a relative who also enjoys traveling. He's been to a lot of countries but has some (in particular, Italy) he returns to frequently. This was in 2019. Since then, I've been to Spain, Portugal, Mexico and Denmark. Maybe he motivated me!
What's interesting is that you have been to a # of places where I've not been, yet really desire to: Denmark, Ireland, Croatia, Mexico (a little less so), Sweden and, of course, Portugal and Spain.
Missed Krakow - one of my biggest regrets - after stopping in Warsaw for a couple of nights en route to meeting Uncle Jim in Prague in '94. He and I did the Prague - Vienna- Salzburg - Budapest circuit for a couple of weeks. We were on trains mostly, yet had an enjoyable cruise down the Danube from one destination to another.
And since we have talked about trains, besides the Moscow to St. Petersburg overnighter with Kade in 2007, back in '94, to get to Warsaw, I took a boat from Helsinki to Tallin (Estonia), then the rest trains: Tallin to Riga (Latvia), Riga to Vilnius (Lithuania), and Vilnius through the corner of Belarus, arriving in Warsaw. Stayed in each of the locales for a few days, and was lots of fun. And in Thailand, we have taken trains from the Bangkok city center to cities in the north, and even down to beach towns close to the Malaysian border. Like you said, if overnight, it's less than a hotel. Plus, it's a unique way to arrive somewhere.
Have been to around 40 countries, but the longer stints in places have been the most pleasant. Hard to beat Italy, for example. And Italy, like Thailand, Switzerland or Chile, you can return over and over and it still be magical. So I get why you do what you do.
No comments:
Post a Comment