Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Opportunities


When I spent a year in Uzbekistan, I had a chance to go to the DMZ (demilitarized zone) separating Uzbekistan and Afghanistan.  Some friends went.  I didn’t.  Tajikistan was also unstable then.  A year earlier, I did go to Kazakhstan, but it never occurred to me that I could easily visit Kyrgyzstan and Turkmenistan.  And I really didn't understand how close Iran was - not that I would have gone.  This was in the early days of emailing, which I was doing from a laptop using dial-up.  Forget websites.  That was barely getting going.  During the winter break in '94, I flew direct to India.  Great time there.  Had considered a few days layover in Pakistan, but opted not to attempt it.  I was just in my early twenties.

No comments:

Post a Comment