Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Saturday, May 18, 2024

Incorporate

Another aspect of traveling that's nice is that wherever you live you can incorporate the best of your travel experiences into your present moment.  For example, no reason you can't use chopsticks, eat more borscht, install a squat toilet, drink an afternoon tea, get a regular massage, enjoy an afternoon siesta, spend weekends in a rustic dacha, ride buses on occasion, eat more lamb, etc..


What's the point of traveling and living abroad if we can't learn from others and adapt ourselves to new ways of understanding.  I remember in my early thirties thinking if i had just a modest amount of money I could probably live quite well in most countries in the world.  It's the simple things that make me happiest.  Finding a lovely view and trying some unique foods are examples.  I also just love walking.


This would be an interesting exercise: Think about your travels and decide what you liked the most, and then just see if you can make it a part of your new life.


Here's a list I can come up with.  I will keep adding to it.


*I've purchased art and handicrafts in many countries.  Paintings, dance masks and batik art are on my walls.  Nothing really expensive.  Framing in the US cost way more.  I also have some rugs I got in India and a beautiful Buddha image a friend gave us as a wedding gift.  But the point is: I can look around and be reminded of where I've been - those good times.


*My wife, being Asian, cooks a lot of delicious dishes.  She brings the spice and flavors that we enjoy overseas right to our dinner table.  She grows Thai basil and chillies.  We also drink Matcha lattes and use chopsticks on occasion.


*I go to saunas and hot springs.  Luckily, Asheville has a Scandinavian sauna and a Japanese onsen, along with a local hot springs for rest and relaxation.

No comments:

Post a Comment