Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Friday, September 18, 2015

Lonely Planet

When I was traveling around Asia in 2000, Lonely Planet guidebooks were the source I would turn to.  Not sure when I actually purchased my first one, but I regularly perused copies in bookstores until I did.  And I would see them all around Bangkok, especially on Khao San Road, where I was staying.  You could buy new editions or second-hand ones.  At the time, I didn't know any names behind Lonely Planet.  Eventually, though, I discovered that the author of the first Lonely Planet on Thailand was Joe Cummings, an American  author/explorer/musician who, at the time, was residing in Chiang Mai.  Wish I could have met him!


 


Thatvee Bookstore - Khao San Road


No comments:

Post a Comment