Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Saturday, May 2, 2015

No Denying It


When I was in Singapore, backpacking around in 2000, I went to a barber to get a trim.   When I was sitting in the barber chair, I looked in the mirror, and there was this big reflection from a large mirror that was up above and behind me.  There was the back and top of my head!  I didn't just have a receding hairline; the crown was giving way.  I had gotten signals that this was happening, but this was maybe my final aha moment.  I got a little hot under the collar (literally), took a deep breath and started working through the denial stage.  The barber went ahead and did a fine job, but only a month or so later would I take the plunge and have my head completely shaved for the first time.  To read about my transformation to the shaved head look, click here.  I guess the moral of the story is:  You never know what beasts you will confront when out of your comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment