Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Thai Fruits

Certainly when we visit Thailand, I indulge myself on exotic fruits.  I always do.  Below are some my favorites:  Durian, Custard Apple, Papaya, Mangosteen, Young Coconut, Longan, Long Kong, Mango and Rambutan.  On our trip to Bangkok this summer, my ritual every night, just after nine o'clock, was to go downstairs where Kade's family was watching TV.  Kade's father would then pull some chilled Young Coconuts from the fridge.  And then he'd take a wide, sharp knife and cut away some of the hard exterior off of the top, exposing the dome of the inner "canteen" that contains the juice.  He'd then take the same knife and whack that dome a couple of times, creating a seam just wide enough to insert a straw.  Sometimes that juice would fly out and splash us!  And always, Kade's father would select the sweetest coconut for me!  I would drink the juice, and then I would take a spoon and scoop out the fleshy, soft meat.  So good!
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment