Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Paris Impresses!

Paris was fantastic!  It's hard for any city I've seen to match its culture and architecture.  My brother and I stayed in a very historical and gorgeous part of the city - the Marais.  I also found the people to be very friendly, especially if you tried speaking a bit of French.  The idea that Parisians are rude is something I just didn't notice.  Maybe my years of traveling have taught me to disprove stereotypes!  The most interesting part of Paris was the cafe life and all it entails. Cafe Cremes are outstanding!  I actually did a literary/philosopher walking tour and saw sights where Sartre sipped coffee, smoked cigars and debated.  I saw the apartments where Hemingway, Fitzgerald and Orwell spent time while writing some of their famous works.  I visited the famous bookstore Shakespeare and Company.  Paris overall made a big impression.  I had been before, but just didn't know how to appreciate it.  My brother is still in Paris and writes interesting e-mails every few days.  - from an e-mail I sent to friends after my return to Bangkok from a two-week trip to Paris







For some impressive interactive panorama photos of Paris, click here.

I  met a cool man - about 80 years old - in a cafe in Paris.  He was Scottish.  He told me how easy it would be to take a train from Paris all the way to Scotland.  It sounded appetizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment