Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Great Soul

Growing up in my town I don't recall ever hearing directly - whether it be in school, in the community or in church - the name Gandhi. I think I did have some slight awareness that Gandhi was Indian and had done something of significance.  Perhaps I had just picked that up from TV? Later on, in my last two years at Samford, I was brought face-to-face with Gandhi: first, after discovering what influence he had on one of our own leaders, and, second, after watching this movie (trailer above) and then reading a book titled, Was Gandhi a Christian? Since then, I have traveled to India, seen the movie a couple of more times, latched on to a particular quote of his, and blogged about him a few times. You can see the blog postings here.  Below, I have posted a few of my favorite Gandhi quotes, ending with the one I love the most. 


An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind. 

An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching. 

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. 

I claim to be a simple individual liable to err like any other fellow mortal. I own, however, that I have humility enough to confess my errors and to retrace my steps. 

 I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

It is easy enough to be friendly to one's friends. But to befriend the one who regards himself as your enemy is the quintessence of true religion. The other is mere business. 

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

a sticker I bought in Asheville, NC

No comments:

Post a Comment