Kade enjoying a boat ride in Thailand. On the way to Monkey Island!

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Handicrafts & Bathhouses



This is a painting, signed by the artist, of a scene in a Japanese onsen.  In 2000, when I was souvenir hunting, I purchased this painting in the Kyoto Handicraft Center as a gift for my mother.  She then had it framed and hung on a bathroom wall in our family home in Headland, AL.  The Kyoto Handicraft Center was also the scene of possibly the most surreal experience I've ever had.  Call it coincidence, or something divine.  I wrote about it here.




To take a look at the onsen Kade and I experienced at Wakayama City Marina in 2004, click here.

And here's an excerpt from an e-mail I sent to Dad and my brothers excitedly telling them about Wakayama Prefecture - town, Arida and city, Wakayama.

Kade and I are currently in Japan, about seven hours west of Tokyo and three hours east of Hiroshima. On Tuesday of next week we will be taking an overnight ferry back to Pusan, Korea.
Wakayama City, Japan......stunning scenery, reminds me of the pacific northwest or Montana in US. mountains, rivers, forests, national parks......oranges and seafood are big industries. we are actually staying in a small, rural town 10 minutes from the coast. very peaceful. staying with Kade's classmate from UA. really nice, four-bedroom home mixing traditional and contemporary japan. styles. the mom cooks amazing dishes every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment